With the VHS tape and the sheet came a pattern for a mile-a-minute afghan, so armed with the idea I could now do a different style of afghan I headed for K-mart. I bought enough wool to do the afghan in colours that I liked and thought went together well I when home ready to start. I started with the VHS and found that I could follow along easy and even understood what I was doing. I learned that I know some of the stitches and the new ones were easy. Double Crochets, and chains seems to be the basic stitches for crochet. And in no time at all I have my first strip done and when onto the 2nd one then the 3rd and 4th came quickly. But as with all new mother's with a young one at home I found less and less time to crochet.
Then my world crashed down around me when I found my husband going to jail with the crown asking for up to 12 years. With a 1 1/2 year old son to rise alone I was scared to death, so I parked up my apartment and found a house to share with a older sister Marilyn and her son. In the end my husband only got 4 1/2 year sentence, I braced myself for a long hard time ahead. Been on Welfare I didn't have a lot of money to spent on crocheting or extras and clothing and food for my son became the most important thing to me. It was darning this 4 1/2 years that I finished my ganny square afghan and the mile-a-minute afghan. I gave them both to my mother, setting a pattern in which I still seem to follow today, I made afghans at my own cost and give them away to others, never asking for money for them. Also darning this time my sister wanted a afghan for herself, so i was able to still crochet but some one else had paid the wool bill. So I manage to finish off two afghans and start and finish a third. And my husband was due home in weeks, so life was looking up for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment